About the Port Melbourne Cricket Club
The Port Melbourne Cricket Club is proud of its history, and works very hard at maintaining its reputation within the
community. The following sections outline the achievements of the club, the expectations placed on all members, and the
work that the club does to grow its reputation and promote a friendly and competitive atmosphere.
The PMCC 2012-13 Handbook is now available
Further information on the Port Melbourne Cricket Club is provided under the following sections:
Port Melbourne Cricket Club was established in 1874. It was one of the original teams in Melbourne's District Cricket
competition comprising of 12 competing clubs; along with Port Melbourne were Carlton, East Melbourne, Essendon, Fitzroy,
Melbourne, North Melbourne, Richmond, St Kilda, South Melbourne, University and Williamstown. These teams competed in
the first District Cricket season.
In 1908 it was realised that a system of promotion and relegation was unworkable, and the clubs taking part in District Cricket were divided into District and Sub-District teams - Port Melbourne was one of eight original competing teams in the Victorian Sub District Cricket Association (VSDCA), along with Brighton, Caulfield, Coburg, Elsternwick, Hawthorn, Malvern, and Williamstown.
In 2002/2003, Port Melbourne joined one the largest metropolitan competitions in the country, the Victorian Turf Cricket Association (VTCA).
Port Melbourne are known as the 'Borough's'; originating from the sporting teams based in the Borough of Port Melbourne.
Team members representing the Borough came from within the working class surroundings of the once thriving Port Melbourne
docks. Numbers have risen and fallen over the generations. Only recently has Port Melbourne again seen another strong
influx of residents, with the area becoming popular with those seeking the inner city lifestyle and a short trip to work
Please click the link below for a complete history of the club Presidents and awards since 1928/29.
PMCC Honour Board
VSDCA CHAMPIONSHIP TITLES
First Grade (10)
Second Grade (8)
Third Grade (9)
Fourth Grade (6)
Port Melbourne Cricket Club is based on the fringe of Melbourne's CBD in the Port Phillip City Council. We are fortunate
to be within close proximity to plenty of amenities: public transport, beaches, eateries, caf's and the thriving Bay Street
shopping strip. Our home headquarters is the historical and picturesque North Port Oval; a great playing surface, generous
facilities and a true centre turf wicket.
First & Second Xl teams:
- North Port Oval turf wicket.
- Cnr of Williamstown Road & Ingles Street, Port Melbourne.
- Melway ref 57 C1 (map provided on the contacts page).
- Ample parking is available along Williamstown Rd (sth of the oval).
(Limited parking is also available inside the ground at the owners risk.)
Third & Fourth Xl teams:
- Turf wickets at the J.L Murphy Reserve.
- Cnr of Williamstown Road & Graham Street, Port Melbourne
- Melway ref 56 K1 (map provided on the contacts page).
- Ample parking is available along Williamstown Rd (sth of the oval).
- Turf training wickets x 3 on North Port Oval.
- Hard wicket training nets at Plummer Street, J.L Murphy Reserve.
- The Norm Goss Grandstand proudly overlooks the white picket fences of the North Port Oval.
- Grassed hill for watching the cricket on those warm sunny days.
- Borough Bar & Clubrooms.
- Large change rooms for home & away teams.
- Clean Male and Female toilets.
- Umpires room.
- Kitchen & Boardroom.
Our reputation, professionalism and generous facilities attract new people to our Club. New members arrive via friends,
family, work colleagues, advertisements, opposition clubs and some just arrive 'off the street'.
New players are always welcome to come down and join in training. Players of all skill levels and experience are welcome. If you would like more information, please don't hesitate to email us at email@example.com or contact Alec Hill (PMCC President) directly on 0414-353-355 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteering fosters new friendships, talents and abilities; can lead to new and rewarding opportunities within Club & Social networks; can build confidence, new skills; and can assist with the Clubs operations.
Volunteers are of tremendous value to any organisation and at PMCC we recognise the work of such people lending a hand to make our Club a better Club. There are always tasks, jobs, and responsibilities to attend to and any additional assistance is greatly appreciated.
Upon confirmed duties, volunteers receive a Club ?training? polo and cap to be worn on game day and training.
So if you know of someone who would enjoy becoming involved with our Club across any level, or you require any information on how you can assist PMCC, please contact Tony Troon (PMCC Secretary) at email@example.com
Membership package details for Season 08/09 are available by clicking this link.
Please always attend training in:
- PMCC training polo & shorts, or White cricket shirt & blue training shorts/pants.
- PMCC cap or white training cap/hat.
- Cricket shoes/runners (hard/turf wicket practice).
Information on the apparel and merchandise available for Season 2008/09 is available by clicking this link.
Those who attend training regularly will be given favourable consideration upon selection.
The Chairman of Selectors and Team Captains form the 'Selection Committee'. We encourage all players to be at training on selection nights. It is important to please advise your Team Captain or the Chairman of Selectors of any absence from training as well as any future unavailability's. A training register is kept and any individual can view this upon a written request to the Chairman.
Selections will be made as quickly as possible on Thursday nights, with the reading of the teams to immediately follow. Catering will also be provided.
Team selections will also be posted on our website on Friday mornings: http://www.portmelbournecricketclub.com.au
From 1874 PMCC has been built from a strong tradition of hard work, we exhibit:
- The 'Spirit of Cricket'
- Team Ethics
We expect members to:
- Adhere to our values
- Represent the Club in the highest regard
- Embrace Port Melbourne, the Club & the Community
- Be punctual
- Enjoy your cricket
- The Club
- Captain & Team-mates
- Officials and Volunteers
- The Games traditional values (Spirit of Cricket & Code of Behaviour)
Port Melbourne CC is committed to upholding the 'Spirit of Cricket' as defined by our affiliated competition, the Victorian
Turf Cricket Association (VTCA). Each player and official is required to embrace the 'Spirit of Cricket' and abide by the
VTCA's Code of Behaviour.
Cricket is a game that owes much of its unique appeal to the fact that it is to be played not only within its Laws, but also within the spirit of the game. Any action seen as abusing this spirit cause's injury to the game itself. Embracing the spirit of the game means participating, either as a player or as an official, fairly and exhibiting respect for other players and officials and the game's traditional values such as graciousness in defeat and humility in victory.
- We represent the Port Melbourne Cricket Club, we are one and we all - always carry ourselves with respect,
professionalism and honour.
- Play to win, enjoy your cricket & do your very best.
- Prepare and plan for success - if you fail to prepare you are preparing to fail.
- Do the basics better than anyone else.
- Always encourage and support your team, your game & your Club.
- Take responsibility for your own actions, do not blame others.
- Train smart, simulate your game & work hard to support each other.
- Ensure you welcome new members to our Club.
- Encourage & welcome family, friends & guests.
- We are Port Melbourne, the red & the blue, the Mighty Borough's; together we will put right our failures and celebrate our successes.
We take pride in the Clubs accreditation with the following programs & policies:
|Australian Drug Foundation (AFD) initiative that utilizes sporting clubs to develop safer & healthier communities.||www.goodsports.com.au|
|Liquor License Board of Victoria.||Effective licensing of the sale and distribution of alcohol are key strategies of Consumer Affairs Victoria.||www.consumer.vic.gov.au|
|Australian Cricket Board Coaches||The club boasts two Level 1 and two Level 2 accredited Cricket coaches.||www.cricket.com.au|
|Working with Children Check (WWC)||WWC creates a mandatory minimum checking standard across Victoria. This helps to keep children safe by preventing those who pose a risk to the safety of children from working with them, in either paid or volunteer work.||www.justice.vic.gov.au/workingwithchildren|
|First Aid Certificate||Each captain is required to have a current certificate and each Team carries a First Aid Kit.||www.firstaid.com.au|
- Smoking is not permitted in the Clubrooms, Bar or on the Playing grounds.
- If you wish to smoke, please use outside open areas & always bin your butts.
- Any behaviour deemed to be excessive or of poor judgement while representing PMCC will be dealt with swiftly.
- Such actions including bad language, excessive drinking, noisy behaviour or fighting, is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.
- PMCC is committed to upholding the VTCA policies relating to Harassment and Racial & Religious Vilification. Any such breaches should immediately be reported to your Team Captains or the President.
- Local residents must be considered at all times when enjoying our facilities.
- We continue to build mutual respect with our neighbours.
- We all take responsibility to acknowledge the neighbours of Port Melbourne.
- Always place litter in the bins provided around our Club.
- The Club requests all members keep our surrounds neat & tidy at all times.